High-performance goal setting is about more than saying “I want to. . .”. It is a process that begins with serious contemplation of what you want, involves a lot of focussed hard work, and ends with the attainment of your goals. Along the way, there are some proven steps that increase your chance of success. They include:
- Connect your goals to a personal motivation. To ensure they do, write down the “why” for this particular goal.
- Ensure you have “SMART” goals (i.e., Specific, Measureable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-bound).
- Write them down. Keep a positive and definitive focus (i.e., use “will” vs. “would like to” or “hope to”).
- Make it granular – ensure you have an action plan with individual steps or mini-goals.
- Review your progress regularly. Goal-setting, and the time you spend reviewing and refining your goals, is a leading-indicator for high-performers.
Ready to get started? Let’s go!